Mobil Gargoyle Arctic 68 NH is a high performance refrigeration oil designed specifically for the lubrication of refrigeration reciprocating and screw compressors using ammonia (NH3, R-717). It is formulated with high quality mineral paraffinic technology providing excellent low temperature performance, low volatility and thermal stability.
Its very low miscibility with ammonia limits oil thinning and minimizes oil carry-over. Low vapour pressure reduces oil consumption and need for top-ups while preventing fractionation (viscosity increase).
Viscosity control over a wide temperature range to obtain the lowest fluidity required in the evaporator and the highest viscosity for enhanced equipment protection in the compressor.
Features and Benefits
- Low volatility, helps reducing oil consumption (fewer oil top-ups), limiting oil thinning from fractionation
- Low Brookfield viscosity contributes to good oil flow at low temperatures and good oil return from evaporator
- Surface protection for increased equipment life, reduced repair costs
- High Viscosity Index for good compressor lubrication across wide operating temperatures
- Refrigerant compatibility contributes to oil separator efficiency (very low miscibility with NH3)
Application considerations: Mobil Gargoyle Arctic 68 NH is recommended for refrigeration systems for cylinder and bearing lubrication in conventional reciprocating and screw refrigeration compressors where ammonia refrigerant is used.
- Large industrial reciprocating and screw refrigeration compressors used in the food industry for food preparation and freezing
- Industrial applications such as food freezing and cold storage plants
- Marine refrigeration applications
cSt @ 40º C
cSt @ 100º C
Pour Point (ºC)
Flash Point (ºC)
Density @ 15ºC
Brookfield Viscosity at -20°C (cP)
Health and Safety
Based on available information, this product is not expected to produce adverse effects on health when used for the intended application and the recommendations provided in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) are followed. MSDS’s are available upon request through your sales contract office, or via the Internet. This product should not be used for purposes other than its intended use. If disposing of used product, take care to protect the environment.
It cannot be guaranteed that the product information given above is up to date. For the latest version of the Product Data Sheet we refer to the product library of ExxonMobil.